My Family!!

My Family!!

Sunday, August 30, 2020

What are the odds??

I truly cannot believe it has been over TEN YEARS since my sweet Rosie went up to heaven. It blows my mind!! This life has been a roller coaster ever since. It has been filled with scary births, wonderful moments with my rainbow babies, Foster and I becoming stronger in our relations ship and closer to Christ.
For those of you who don't know about my latest endeavor...2 years ago I decided to go back to nursing school. It is something I started 20 years ago, life happened, and I never got to finish. I have been attending birth photography sessions over the past 10 years, and the thing i thought every time I was in the delivery room, is how I wanted to experience the miracle of birth every day of my life. How you TRULY feel that is the moment when heaven meets earth and God's love and hope for the human race continues. Any of you who have experienced or witnessed a birth probably has felt a similar rush of hope when the baby comes out screaming and the parents cry and everyone is just overwhelmed with emotion.  

So 2 yrs ago Foster and I were sitting in a local Indian restaurant, and I told him I had been feeling restless. Life was normal. House was remodeled, business was thriving, both kids in daycare or school, dinner on the table most nights by 6:30 pm...the "picture perfect" life/family. But I was restless. I was feeling a stirring that my "story" was not done. That God was not done with me and my journey. I wanted to go back to school.

Here is how the conversation went:
Me: "Honey, I am bored. I need something. I have felt a restlessness that I feel God has something for me to pursue."

Foster: Ever the loving, supportive husband to my sometimes CRAZY ideas, "OK.....what is it you want to do?"

Me: "I think I want to go back to nursing school."

Foster: "OK...well have you researched schools, how much? How long? What specifically do you want to do?"

You see he is always the level headed one. I get a harebrained idea and he pulls me back down to earth to have me do it right....to  research what I need to do to accomplish my goal. He is more analytical than me....I just go with the flow and where I feel I am being pulled.

Me: "Nope, I haven't looked. BUT I know what I want to do. I want to work where Rosie was born. I want to be a labor and delivery nurse. I want to help other families suffering the same type of loss as we did. I want to be a light in there darkest moments."

Foster: "Do you think you would be able to handle it? Emotionally?"

Me: "Yes I feel like I am in the perfect place in my life to help instead of it hurting me. It has been 8.5 years, and while I miss her EVERY DAY, I am at peace about it, and know I will get to hold her in my arms eventually. But until then, I want to help. Plus, let's face it, labor and delivery is great unit to be a part of! So much joy with some pain. What better place to be every day for work!!"

Foster: "Ok, do the research and lets figure it out."

So I started researching. I knew there were some great nursing schools within close proximity. I had a TON of credits from the first round of nursing school I attempted 20 yrs ago, and just prayed the credits would still transfer. I had hear horror stories of credits expiring after 5 yrs and did NOT want to retake all the maths and sciences, etc. I also had experience as an army medic, and although I knew most schools did not offer credits for time served, potentially the classes taken to become an EMT-B would help. So I started my google search. 

The school I found almost immediately seemed way too good to be true. It typically had a 1-2 yr waiting list to get into their nursing program, but they had just started a new program. One that encouraged paramedics and ARMY MEDICS to attend their nursing school, and they would give you credits towards TWO of their nursing classes, and you would have to take a 2 credit hour bridge course instead. This course is the same course the LPNs take before attending the RN courses. And they were accepting applications for their FIRST GROUP to start that fall! What are the odds? 

So I immediately submitted an application and started gathering all of my transcripts and such....then I waited.

After my application was received, a admissions person called me. He needed transcripts from 2 of my schools and my high school. Which I quickly provided for him. But then he told me it could take up to 6-8 weeks to process the transcripts, and not to expect to start school until January. I was BUMMED. The PERFECT situation....the PERFECT in for a great nursing school, and transcript processing may keep me back from starting in fall. This was July 2nd when I spoke to him. 

July 5th Foster and I were sitting in the living room enjoying an extra day off for him and I received a phone call. My transcripts had been processed, and I could go talk to an academic advisor to start the nursing school process. HOLY CRAP.....
I called the advisors office, they said they had a cancellation, so therefore an opening at 11:30 AM THAT DAY to talk and get the ball rolling (it was currently 10:30 AM). I looked at Foster, and he said, "Go for it! I will stay home with the girls." What are the odds?

Embarrassing moment from this visit:
I got in the elevator to head home after my meeting, and a girl in the elevator greeted me and then proceeded to ask if I was an instructor there.....okay, okay, I get it, I am old...lol. (36 at this point).


So now the finances. LUCKILY, the school I chose is a local community college. They are SOOO much cheaper to attend than any huge university. I did the math, since I only had to go 8-9 credit hours a semester because I ONLY had to take the nursing courses (remember all those credits...they transferred and saved me SOOOO much time and $$), and the college took payment plans, the total per month for me to attend would be between $359-379 a month. Fall for my business is BONKERS. I make about 1/2 of my yearly income in the last 4 months of the year. So I knew financially I could swing paying for classes in the fall without hurting our family financially. BUT winter would be much more difficult.  Business typically drops off dramatically in January for the first few months. OH....but don't you worry...Foster's car payment fell off in January! $400/ month was going to be opened up RIGHT AT THE RIGHT TIME......what are the odds?

Now nursing school was HARD....I mean REALLY REALLY hard. Nursing school while having 2 kids, a full time business to run, and a husband who was gone a LOT for the military.....don't even get me started. But with a LOT of prayer and determination and A LOT of support from family, friends, and fellow nursing school friends, I made it through. 

In the second to last last semester, the school allows you to apply for a preceptor-ship for your last semester clinical. A preceptor-ship is a 1:1 clinical in a specialized area. You are not guaranteed it. You have to write an essay explaining why you want it, why you would be a good representative of the school, and have good grades. There are a few ICU slots, cardiac, pediatric, and OCCASIONALLY an OB option. Of COURSE I wanted the OB option. So did a few other students in my class. So I got to writing my essay. I talked about my journey over the previous 9 yrs, Rosie, why I wanted OB, submitted the essay and application, and then prayed....HARD. If this is literally what I started school for, I wanted to be 100% sure this was right for me. I wanted to experience it more in depth than our 3 day OB clinical we received. 

After finals were graded, and last semester was planned out by the professors, we received our clinical rotation for Spring 2020 semester. I scrolled through all of the group clinicals and did not see my name....I kept scrolling. Under Preceptorship label I saw My name:

Erin Foster- L&D........

Then I scrolled to the right to see the hospital I would be working in.......my heart stopped and leapt at the same time......ROSIE'S hospital!! The same floor I delivered her on and the only place I got to hold her in my arms for 4 days. Funny thing? This is NOT the typical hospital system our school works with. They typically work with one of the other major group her in our city. I was in literal shock! What are the odds?

So fast forward to last semester. Everyone is starting their clinical rotations, and I had still not heard from my nurse preceptor from the hospital to set up my schedule. I was starting to get frustrated when she finally responded, "I am sorry, I don't know why they chose me, I am on vacation almost all of Feb and all of Mar."

How the HECK am I supposed to get 130 hours in when my preceptor is gone 2/3 months I have to fit those hours into?!?

I called my sister (a NICU nurse at this hospital) crying. So upset because if they couldn't find me a new preceptor, I would have to fall in with one of the groups and not get my chance in OB. SO I started praying.....

The next day, my sister was leaving her shift and was on the elevator. She started up a random conversation about children with a girl she had never met in the elevator. THey rode the bus to the parking lot together and this stranger was telling my sister how she was bummed because she wanted to work up the clinical ladder (a program to help with raises and certifications), and since she worked all 3 departments in OB (L&D, maternal special care, and mother infant), that she couldn't orient a new nurse......this triggered a question from my sister: "Could you precept a nursing student and get the credit for the clinical ladder?"
This stranger replied: "I don't know, I don't see why not. Why?"
My sister: "Well, my sister has a problem....." And the proceeded to tell her what happened. 
They exchanged information, and within a week, this RANDOM stranger became my new preceptor.....what are the odds?

6 GLORIOUS weeks of working next to Amber. I helped deliver babies in the operating room I had Rosie in, I helped deliver a baby in the L&D room they held me unitl my c-section. I took care of a mom in the maternal special care room I stayed in and held my daughter for 4 days. I opened the fridge that my daughter stayed cool in for 4 days.......and I was in PURE HEAVEN. I get to be near my earthly children every day. I get to hold them, love them, and help them grow. But being on that floor, in those rooms, in that environment...i felt SOOOOO close to my daughter in heaven. Like I could be with her when I was at work, and with my earthly daughters here at home.....

Then Covid hit. 

I was unable to finish my last shift and properly thank the management and my preceptor for the experience. I wanted to hand my resume to the hiring manager before I left and tell her I was very interested if a position opened. But none of that happened. 

I graduated virtually Cum Laude, and even received a leadership award from the college of nursing. It SHOULD have been the culmination of my nursing school career with my friends and family there to support me, and my sister there to pin me, but it was depressing and anticlimactic. 



I went on to apply for RN to BSN programs, which I got accepted to a phenomenal program....the same program my sister graduated from traditional BSN. I broke my leg (another story for another day) and used that time to study for the NCLEX, and apply for jobs. HOWEVER, most of the hospitals were on hiring freezes. But I kept praying. Foster asked what the cut off for me to get my "dream job" would be before I "settled" for a different job. Most people will tell you they won't hire new grads into L&D. They want you to have your BSN, and 2 yrs of med-surg experience before you can get a L&D job. 

My response was always: L&D is what I am supposed to be doing, and years working in the ED and as an Army medic, I have a lot more "experience" than a lot of new nurses. So I stuck to my guns. And I am SOOOOOO glad I did. 

In June, a positon opened in Rosie's L&D unit! I immediately applied. I sent in my thank you card and resume to the hiring manager, and before I knew it I had an interview......the MORNING before I was to take the NCLEX......talk about no sleep. LOL. 

The interview went amazing, and I PASSED my NCLEX all in the same day, and that next Monday, I was offered the job.......during a pandemic WHILE most of the hospitals were on hiring freezes...what are the odds? I have cried so many happy tears because I know the Truth...

When you follow HIS plans for you, when you turn EVERYTHING over to Him, there are no odds....it is His will and it WILL happen if HE wants it to! Rosie's death was so much more than me losing a child. I TRULY feel it was for me to find my path, to connect closer to God, and to finally be able to help others on their journey of baby loss. Some of my baby loss moms started non profits, some write or speak to the public...me? I was supposed to be a L&D nurse.....Just like my Granny Phillippa (Who Rosie is buried with and Pippa is named after.....what are the odds??)

So tomorrow I start. I start this next chapter of my life in L&D. Please pray for me. Pray I can be the best nurse for ALL of my patients.  Pray I am able to touch others' lives, pray I can be a light in the dark.....and pray for my nerves LOL... I feel like it is the first day of school as a kid LOL. 

I just wanted to write all of this down so I can see His love for me during times of doubt, and to hopefully inspire someone else to follow their dreams and listen to their hearts!










No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com